Bill has advised on construction and engineering related claims involving fires, floods, design failures, business interruption and subrogated recovery opportunities arising from such claims. Examples include:-
- Successfully pursued the American supplier of industrial equipment through contractual adjudication following a £10million fire. Commenced enforcement proceedings in the TCC while contesting parallel proceedings in the Federal Court, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
- Defended a contractor against a multi-million pound claim in the TCC arising from a flood at London commercial premises during large scale construction works.
- Conducted recovery of insured and uninsured losses from a building contractor and subcontractors as a result of several fires in South Korea.
- Acting on behalf of a claimant subcontractor in relation to a £7 million claim arising out of construction works at a £300 million fuel production plant. The defendant was seeking to set off an unliquidated claim for damages for alleged repudiation of an installation contract against liabilities to the claimants under a supply contract.
- Acting on behalf of a claimant main contractor in a multi-million pound dispute relating to alleged defects in, and liabilities arising out of, the design and installation of gas distribution pipe work at a 200 flat residential development.
Bill has advised companies, both within the United Kingdom and internationally in relation to commercial disputes. Examples include:
- Resolving a contractual dispute relating to the defective supply of chemicals by an English company to a Swiss textile manufacturer.
- Advising a European headquartered company in relation to allegations of fraud, and bribery arising from the procurement of a commercial contract.
- Recovery of debts owed to a Belgian company by an English company by pursuing a winding up order.
Product Liability Claims
Bill has represented, as well as acted against, suppliers and their insurers in product liability claims, most notably:-
- Defended a Belgian electrical goods company against a multi-million pound claim brought in the Technology and Construction Court arising from a fire in a central London office block.
- Assisted Swiss lawyers in the conduct of a claim against a milling company arising out of a fire at a major British mill.
- Assisted French lawyers with the defence of a British electrical company against a claim arising out of a fire at an amusement park in the south of France.