- Advised on more than 200 non-freezing cold injury claims. Vicky has specialist knowledge of these claims and the generic tactics adopted for them. She advises the MOD on settlement parameters and represents the MOD at solicitor-to-solicitor joint settlement meetings for these cases.
- Advised in a claim for a moderately severe traumatic brain injury sustained when the claimant collapsed during a physical training session. Liability was vigorously denied for this qualified one-way costs shifting claim. The medical experts did not agree as to what caused the claimant to fall. The claimant valued his claim in excess of £1 million. Vicky negotiated settlement of £17,776 after exchange of witness evidence.
- Advised in a claim for loin pain haematuria, a syndrome for which there is very limited medical literature on causation and very few medico-legal experts. Instructed the only medical expert in this field who had completed recognised studies of the syndrome, which settled for £300,000 against the £600,000 claimed.
- Advised in a claim for a minor back injury in which the claimant had moved to Australia. The claimant estimated his claim value to be £600,000. However, the claim settled for £22,500 gross. Vicky worked closely with Kennedys’ Sydney office in order to identify robust experts and obtain documentation quickly and cost effectivley.
Vicky is a Senior Associate in Kennedys’ Chelmsford office. She completed her training contract with Kennedys and was promoted to Senior Associate in 2015.
Vicky has experience of advising public sector clients in the defence of public liability (PL) and employers’ liability (EL) claims. Vicky also deals with historic sexual abuse and neglect claims. She has a specialist focus on claims made against the Ministry of Defence (MOD) including many for cold injuries with psychiatric damage and/or chronic pain occasioned by those cold injuries. She has also represented the UK Borders Agency, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and HM Prison Service on PL and EL claims.
Vicky is an author of Kennedys’ Claims Handling Law and Practice Guide, the fourth edition of which was published in February 2021.
- Qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2010