- Conducted the liquidation of a group of Thai subsidiaries for a major UK utilities company as part of an international financial restructuring including the conduct of tax and regulatory investigations commenced by the Thai authorities.
- Acted in an ICC arbitration relating to the State Railway of Thailand’s Red Line Extension.
- Assisted with litigation conducted in the Civil Courts of Thailand arising out of the Theun Hinboum Expansion Project, Lao P.D.R..
- Acted for a consortium of Thai and international contractors against the a Thai Government entity in proceedings government by the rules of the Thai Arbitration Institute, Office of Judiciary.
- Advised PRC SOEs on issues arising out of various carbon emission reductions purchase agreements.
- Conduct of Hong Kong Court proceedings involving allegations of the production of inferior building materials.
- Advised a PRC SOE in relation to a proposed Public Partnership Concession Agreement involving the Royal Navy and the Eastern Economic Corridor Office for the extension and operation of U-Tapao International Airport.
- Advised a Hong Kong listed restaurant chain in respect of establishing its business in Thailand including related specific regulatory advice;
- Acted for a PRC SOE in the reorganisation of its Thai businesses.
James is a Special Counsel in Kennedys’ Bangkok Office.
James advises on all aspects of international investment into Thailand from inception to liquidation including commercial disputes. He is qualified in England and Wales and Hong Kong, and has worked in Asia since 2008 with experience in Thailand, China and Hong Kong.
As well as his non-contentious practice, James handles large scale arbitrations and alternative dispute resolution of construction related disputes, acting as regards the latter for developers, contractors, and sub-contractors in various arbitration and litigation projects throughout the region.
James has acted extensively for investors in negotiating and documenting multi-national cross-border investments in merger and acquisition matters in Thailand.
James is a committee member of ICC Thailand's National Commission on Arbitration and ADR and is the current HK45 (part of HKIAC) Ambassador for Thailand.