Alex is a partner based in our Sydney office.
Alex is an experienced insurance and commercial litigation lawyer whose focus is in the areas of financial lines, D&O and professional indemnity. She has significant experience as both defence and coverage counsel, including acting in the defence of negligence and other claims brought against solicitors, accountants, engineers and other professionals.
In advising and acting on PI claims, Alex is always mindful of the particular needs of professionals and their insurers. She understands the particular stressors faced by professionals when claims are brought against them, such as risks to reputation. Alex is familiar with and understands the importance of insurers’ litigation management policies, including reporting and reserving recommendation requirements. Having been at the NSW Bar earlier in her career, Alex is uniquely placed to provide high quality and cost efficient litigation services.
As well as having over 16 years of litigation experience, Alex regularly provides insurers with advice on complex coverage issues arising under D&O policies, PI policies and other types of insurance cover, such as statutory liability and crime covers. She has provided extensive advise on numerous complex coverage matters, including issues with aggregation, contribution and subrogation particularly in the context of shareholder class action claims, claims brought by liquidators, ASIC examinations and other claims brought under D&O and Management Liability policies.
Alex is regularly appointed by insurers to monitor large claims, which often involves working with an insured’s defence counsel and broker to achieve the best possible outcome for insurers and their insured.
Alex also assists insurers with the drafting of insurance policies, particularly with respect to the review of specific clauses in the wake of legal developments.
Alex has also advised private and ASX-listed companies, as well as not-for-profit associations, on claims and insurance risks.
Alex is also the president of AILA NSW branch.
- Recognised in Best Lawyers Australia for 'Insurance'
Best Lawyers Australia 2024
- advising insurers with respect to class actions, including: advising on coverage issues with respect to class action claims brought against financial institutions; acting for insurers joined to large and complex securities class actions; and advising insurers on large loss claims brought under general liability policies of insurance
- advising insurers with respect to coverage disputes with respect to claims involving fidelity insurance policies
- acting in the defence of proceedings brought against lawyers by strangers to the lawyers’ retainers
- successful applications for the striking out of unmeritorious claims brought against solicitors, accountants and quantity surveyors
- acting as coverage and defence counsel with respect to coronial inquests involving insured entities
- acting as coverage and defence counsel with respect to prosecutions brought by the NSW and Victorian Environment Protection Authorities
- advising an insurer on coverage claims by a number of Insured Persons with respect to a wide ranging commission of inquiry, including monitoring the proceedings and assisting in the managing of claims
- advising and acting on applications to join insurers pursuant to the Civil Liability (Third Party Claims Against Insurers) Act 2017 (NSW)
- advising and acting on applications brought under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) in the context of D&O policies, including applications for the reinstatement and winding up of companies
- acting for professionals in the defence disciplinary proceeding