- The University of California, Davis School of Law, JD
- Johns Hopkins University, BA
Jonathan is an associate in the Financial Lines Practice Group. He represents foreign and domestic insurers in connection with complex coverage issues arising under major professional liability lines. His experience includes counseling, litigation, and alternative dispute resolution involving directors and officers, commercial disputes, not-for-profit and community association defense, professional liability defense, financial institutions, cyber liability, transactional risk, and other professional liability coverages.
Jonathan’s practice includes counseling clients and insurers and resolving disputes in connection with underlying securities class actions, shareholder derivative actions, private equity disputes, de-SPAC transactions, regulatory investigations, real estate disputes and also bankruptcy and insolvency issues arising in the insurance context. Jonathan also regularly counsels clients with respect to claims and underwriting matters, including the development of new insurance products and drafting policy forms.
Jonathan has been published on dispute resolution issues of interest to professional liability insurers and commercial clients and is a member of the Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS) and the New York City Bar Association Council on Judicial Administration.
Qualifications and admissions
- New York
- New Jersey
- US District Court, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- The United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by New York Metro Super Lawyers (2022)
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by New York Super Lawyers (2021-2022)
- Won motion to intervene and successfully vacated $10 million judgment by default on behalf of management liability insurer in fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claim involving an asset acquisition venture through which a plaintiff-investment fund purchased certain unregistered securities.
- Won motion to dismiss in New York attorney malpractice claim involving alleged misuse of statutory short form power of attorney.
- Won motion to dismiss in New York real estate dispute involving the interpretation and application of a mixed used condominium’s declaration and offering plan documents, and successfully defended appeal.
Presentations and publications
- Author, “Short-Seller Reports in SPAC Litigation: Credible Evidence or Fabricated Self-Interest?” published for Kennedys (March 2022)
- Author, "The New Normal: Why the Electronic Transmission of Interlocutory Civil Litigation Documents in the Age of COVID-19 Is Here To Stay (and Where the CPLR Needs To Catch Up)" published in the New York Law Journal (September 2021)
- Asamblea De Iglesias Christianas, Inc. v. DeVito, 2022 NY Slip Op 06456 (2d Dept Nov. 16, 2022)
- Dvortsov v. Levy, 74 Misc. 3d 1229(A), 163 N.Y.S.3d 924 (N.Y. Sup. Ct. 2022)
- Rivera v. Est. of Ruiz, No. 16 CIV. 7328 (ER), 2020 WL 1503663 (S.D.N.Y. Mar. 30, 2020)
- A Assocs. LP v. Bd. of Managers of Hearth House Condo., 190 A.D.3d 473, 135 N.Y.S.3d 821 (1st Dep’t 2021)