- Emory University School of Law, JD
- Wake Forest University, BA (cum laude)
A partner in the New York office, John practices with the US Financial Lines Practice Group, providing specialized legal counsel to the insurance industry regarding financial institutions, directors and officers liability, professional liability, federal securities law, fidelity, commercial crime, representations and warranties, trade credit and political risk, dispute resolution, arbitration and litigation.
For over 25 years, John has been tapped by primary and excess specialty lines insurers across the US, Canada, Latin America, the Caribbean, Europe and Asia for guidance in complex, high-exposure cases arising in the financial markets. Clients regularly turn to John for his expertise and insight in insurance, financial services, securities, financial crimes, fidelity, commercial crime, professional liability, management liability, mortgage bankers bonds, media liability and fine art coverage matters. He advises clients in the development of policy wordings across diverse product lines and partners with in-house teams to propose and develop prompt strategies for resolution of issues and disputes.
John is a recognized authority in the field and is often asked to speak at industry conferences and cross-jurisdictional Kennedys webinars. He regularly provides tailored client training to financial lines teams around the world on a variety of topics including US insurance litigation and US securities litigation trends.
John also contributed to the fourth edition of Kennedys’ Global Legal Handbook, one of our most popular guides, which outlines the main legal and procedural issues that case handlers may encounter when dealing with claims across 53 jurisdictions globally.
Qualifications and admissions
- New York
- US District Court, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- Notable practitioner for 'Insurance: Dispute Resolution: Insurer (New York)'
"John Blancett is a key partner."
Chambers USA 2021-2022
- Representing insurers of a global financial institution in relation to a $344 million loss arising out of the submission of fraudulent documents under an accounts receivable financing program.
- Representing insurers of a global financial institution in relation loss of $750 million arising from employee dishonesty and unauthorized trading.
- Defending the insurers of a US regional bank in litigation arising from a $108 million loss from a life settlement structured finance program.
- Representing the insurers of a global financial instruction in relation to a $580 million loss arising from authorized trading in natural gas options.
- Defending insurer of a private equity firm in litigation arising from a loss of $96 million from the handling of pension benefits in a corporate acquisition.
- Represent the insurers of a fantasy sports site in connection with multi-million dollar losses arising from regulatory and civil litigation.
Presentations and publications
- “Reservation of Rights: When and How,” In-House Client Training (June 2020)
- “Cannabis: Developments, Impact on Financial Sector, and Risks to Insurers,” In-House Client Training (June 2019)
- “The Continuing Rise in US Securities Litigation,” In-House Client Training (January 2019)