Carlyn is a Legal Director (Solicitor Advocate) within the Commercial Division and leads the Commercial Disputes Team in our Manchester office. She advises businesses and/ or company directors on a range of commercial claims, in particular:
- shareholder, member, board and partnership disputes;
- complex breach of contract claims including trade disputes and supply of goods and services disputes;
- breach of confidentiality, misuse of data and restrictive covenants claims including applications for injunctive relief;
- civil fraud and corporate diversion claims;
- complex debt claims;
- defamation claims and reputational management;
- personal guarantee claims;
- claims for misuse of copyright and passing off.
Her clients include professional advisors, insurers, manufacturers and service providers.
Carlyn also set up and leads the Commercial Recoveries and Enforcement Team and works with insurers and private clients across the UK and internationally to recover losses and enforce judgments against debtors with assets in England & Wales. She gives practical and commercial advice on the recovery of debts and her Bad Debt Recovery Plan has been recognised as an innovative Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) solution.
Carlyn graduated with a 2:1 degree in Law (LLB(Hons)) from the University of Liverpool in 2004. She then completed her LPC at the College of Law in Chester. Carlyn was a law tutor at the University of Liverpool in 2005 to 2006, teaching mainly contract and business law to undergraduates. She has a particular interest in the training and development of junior lawyers and is the Early Careers Sponsor for the Commercial Division within Kennedys.
Carlyn is a qualified Solicitor-Advocate (Higher Courts Civil Proceedings) with a particular interest in advocacy. In 2014, Carlyn obtained a Masters Degree in Laws in Advocacy (LLM) with Distinction from the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow. Her dissertation examines the efficiency and effectiveness of oral and written submissions in interim advocacy, post Jackson reforms. Her interest in this subject matter continues and she often provides comment on the digitisation and technological developments of the courts from 2020.
Carlyn is proactive and commercially astute and has a published article in the art of negotiation. She has written an electronic publication for Kennedys on the Key to Good Advocacy and teaches skills workshops internally. She has extensive experience in negotiating settlements and engaging in ADR, including mediation.
Qualifications and admissions
- Qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2008.
- Qualified as a solicitor-advocate with Higher Rights of Audience in civil law in 2013.