A brief history of our growth.
Kennedys has a rich history of delivering straightforward advice, even when the issues are complex, to help clients navigate challenges, today and tomorrow. Since 1899 we have been listening to our clients’ needs and we will continue to expand our global footprint in recognition of how the insurance market develops and where our clients need us.
- Forms association with López del Solar in Bolivia and Tobar ZVS in Ecuador
- Wilmington, DE (US) office opens
- Forms new association with Baysal & Demir in Turkey
- Perth (Australia) office opens
Leeds (England) office opens following acquisition of 36 strong insurance team from Langleys
- Muscat (Sultanate of Oman) office opens
- Tel Aviv (Israel) office opens
- Kennedys wins Innovation in strategy and digital transformation award for Kennedys IQ at The FT Innovative Lawyers Europe Awards 2020
- 4 associate offices open in Canada following our association with Dolden Wallace Folick LLP
- San Francisco, CA (US) office opens
- Kennedys wins Best New Solution for Clients award at the Managing Partners’ Forum Awards
- Kennedys IQ, a separate technology driven company that combines human and machine intelligence, is launched
- Kennedys becomes first international law firm to establish a presence in each of the Dominican Republic, Guatemala and Panama through three Associations
- Nick Thomas, Senior Partner is named Managing Partner of the Year at The Legal Business Awards
- Kennedys winner of Innovation in the business of law - new products and services award at The FT Innovative Lawyers Europe Awards 2019
- Suzanne Liversidge named Kennedys' first global managing partner, to work alongside the senior partner on the strategic and operational management of the firm.
- Bristol (England) office opens
- Buenos Aires (Argentina) office opens.
- Kennedys wins UK Law Firm of the Year at British Legal Awards
- Hamilton (Bermuda) office opens
- Paris (France) office opens
- Bangkok (Thailand) office opens
- Manchester (England) commercial litigation firm Berg & Co (berg) merges with Kennedys
- Melbourne (Australia) office opens
- US insurance law firm Carroll McNulty & Kull (CMK) merges with Kennedys, establishing new US offices in Austin, TX; Basking Ridge, NJ; Chicago, IL; New York, NY; and Philadelphia, PA
- Mexico City (Mexico) office opens.
- Marine and shipping firm Waltons & Morse (London) merges with Kennedys
- Kennedys wins The Legal 500 UK Firm of the Year for insurance (regional) and transport (travel)
- Santiago (Chile) and Bogota (Colombia) offices open
- Sao Paulo (Brazil) and Lima (Peru) offices open
- Kennedys wins Legal Technology Team of the Year at the Legal Business Awards
- Danish firm Advokatfirmaet Erritzøe merges with Kennedys and we acquire an office in Copenhagen (Denmark).
- Kennedys launches US capability from Miami hub
- Kennedys enters in to a joint legal venture with Singapore firm, Legal Solutions LLC.
- Edinburgh and Glasgow (Scotland) offices open
- Kennedys gains Alternative Business Structure (ABS) licence.
- Kennedys merges with Gates and Partners and acquires a new office in Brussels (Belgium).
- Lisbon (Portugal) and Dublin (Ireland) offices open.
- Sheffield (England) and Miami (for Latin America) offices open
- Kennedys wins Law Firm of the Year and Insurance Team of the Year at the Legal Business Awards
- Kennedys converts to an LLP.
- Manchester (England), Singapore and Taunton (England) offices open
- Kennedys merges with Davies Lavery and acquires offices in Birmingham and Maidstone (England).
- Dubai (UAE) and Sydney (Australia) offices open.
- Madrid (Spain) and Chelmsford (England) offices open.
- Cambridge (England) office opens.
- Hong Kong and Auckland (New Zealand) offices open.
- Belfast (Northern Ireland) office opens.
- Kennedys was founded.
After qualifying as a Barrister and Solicitor in the State of Victoria, Australia, UK-born Charles Frederick Kennedy moved to London, qualified as a Solicitor in England and became a Partner at Paddison, Chapelle & Kennedy.
Over the years, Kennedy was in several partnerships: Kennedy, Danvers & Co; C. Frederick Kennedy & Co; Kennedy Lindo & Co; and Kennedy Genese & Co.
Sadly, Kennedy was taken ill and passed away in 1942 at the age of 79.
Genese recollects Kennedy well:
Kennedy had an Australian accent ... and a keen sense of humour. He was friendly and talkative with a booming voice and a very friendly personality. He was a man of strong character and was very proud and nothing would have pleased him more to know that Kennedys had grown to its present day size.
Genese took over the practice, keeping the name of the firm, before expanding and becoming Kennedy, Genese & Syson and later Kennedy, Genese, Syson & Lewis.
In the 1960s, Partner Eric Lewis noticed that people were getting tongue tied with the name at the time 'Kennedy, Genese, Syson & Lewis' and suggested that the name was shortened. At the same time John F. Kennedy had just become President of the USA and was very much "in the fashion".
A neutral name of 'Kennedys' was agreed and the firm has continued to practice under this name ever since.