Our market-leading healthcare team has been at the forefront of health law for over 30 years. The team advise on the most sensitive and challenging cases, involving emergency treatment decisions, mental health and the treatment of vulnerable people, including children. We strive to remain at the cutting edge as this dynamic sector evolves.
Our experienced team based across the UK, Republic of Ireland and Asia Pacific, including Hong Kong and Australia combine sensitivity to patients’ needs with a focus to ensure their best interests are protected and wishes taken into account, whilst also supporting treating clinicians at these profoundly difficult times.
We are regularly instructed on high profile confidential cases that make a very real impact to people’s lives, including their welfare, health, medical treatment, and finances, such as high profile investigations, inquests, judicial reviews, medical treatment decisions and deprivations of liberty.
We are experts in the field of medical law and work in partnership with our clients to provide a range of specialist educational in-house training.
Our clients include the NHS (Acute Trusts, Mental Health Trusts, CCGs and primary care services), NHS Resolution, private healthcare providers, international hospitals and clinics and insurers.
Our medical law services:
- Consent to treatment and complex decision-making under the Mental Capacity Act (MCA), Mental Health Act and Children Act
- The Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) and the transition to the Liberty Protection Safeguards (LPS), including s21a applications
- Best interest disputes in relation to treatment
- Inherent jurisdiction matters
- Consent to treatment
- Mental health
- Mental capacity
- Court of Protection and family court advice and representation
- Human rights legislation
- Treatment of children
- Our advice and expertise includes the relevant Acts in other jurisdictions in which we have a health law presence.